Saturday, April 3, 2010

This Will Curl Your Hair

My curling iron broke, actually it fell apart. I didn't think I was that rough with it but now I had to replace it. This is not a purchase that can be put off; I'd had to go out the same day and get a new one for the next morning. This is a pretty simple purchase or at least it should be.

I said I'd be back in about thirty minutes; the drive to and from the store is nine minutes, time in the store, to go to the cosmetics department, pick up the new appliance and check out another nine minutes. Okay, allow for a line at check out and I'm up to12 minutes; total of 21 minutes gone.

An hour later I'm still in the store. It's not what you think; I didn't have my hands full of impulse buying, I didn't run into a neighbor and the register didn't run out of receipt tape. The holdup was three choices of curling irons. The price range was $13.97 to $24.97. All of them heat up in 30 seconds, shut off automatically and have an easy to clean 1 1/2 " ceramic barrel. Two were black, the other red. Two were the same brand that I already own, but one had a digital read of the temperature, so you can know how hot it is. I usually just spit on my finger and touch the barrel, if it sizzles, it's hot enough. They all do the same thing, and pretty much have the same lifespan.

After about 10 minutes standing in the aisle reading the package as if this was the first curling iron I will ever own, I decided on the $25 one with the digital readout. On my way to the checkout I realize that is dumb. Why do I need to spend ten more dollars to know how hot the iron? Back in the aisle I choose the mid-price red iron; I've never had a red curling iron before. I've just chewed up another 15 minutes but this time I didn't get out of the aisle when I turned around to put the red one back and take the cheapest one on the rack. It's the same one I'm replacing, I know how it works and sizzles.

Actually, since I bought the same item I already had, my time in the store should have been about 3 minutes. What really is upsetting is knowing that I have to pick out wall paper soon; so many books and so many pages in each book. I may have to take a day off work for that project.

Epilogue

Things Are Never So Simple

I happened to mention this to a friend and was told I should have bought the digital one since it sounded cool and didn't cost that much more.

I should mention that I was shopping at Wally World and had the "must-save" mentality working for me and I was also one step ahead of my friend; I've been back to the store and returned it for the digital one. But the story doesn't stop there.........

When I found myself back in the curling iron aisle with the digital model in my hand I noticed the straighteners on the other side of the aisle. I thought I could use a new one until I saw all the choices I'd have to make. There was one that can be used on wet hair; it might be nice not to have to dry first. Before I go any further, if you 're a man, you may be wondering why I would be interested in a hair straightener if I'm shopping for a curling iron. Let me explain: after drying you can't just use the curling iron, your hair has to be smoothed out before it can be curled. Yes, you heard me right. Please don't try to debate this, accept it as fact from someone who does it every day. There was also an iron with rounded edges to curl the hair and it came with an instructional DVD! I decided enough was enough and I will leave the store after doing what I planned to do. It was then when I saw a clerk pushing a cart of Hostess cupcakes; I had to will every part of my being to ignore that and check out with my new digital readout curling iron. When I got home I baked some cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment